At Denver Test Prep, we offer 1-on-1 and small group tutoring packages. While 1-on-1 tutoring is most common among our clients, small group tutoring is appealing for a few reasons.
How do I choose between 1-on-1 and small group tutoring?
- 1-on-1 tutoring allows Denver Test Prep tutors to customize each session to meet the specific needs of an individual student.
- It also allows the tutor and student to focus on areas of study for which a student needs extra attention.
- 1-on-1 tutoring allows a student to progress at their own pace.
- 1-on-1 tutoring can accelerate a student’s progress and offers the most efficient tutoring service.
- While 1-on-1 tutoring costs more per student than small group tutoring, fewer sessions are often needed since tutors are able to focus the entire time on one student.
Small Group Tutoring
- Small group tutoring is most effective with groups of no more than 4 students. The ideal size of a small group is 2-3 students.
- Students who choose to do a small group session should pair up with students who are at similar comprehension levels. Small group tutoring that includes students who are at very different comprehension levels and/or are needing attention on different subjects can slow down each student’s overall progression on the test material. Thus it’s important to pair with students who are at similar levels.
- Tutoring with peers can provide students with motivation and a support system. Some students also find that tutoring with peers can help to keep them more engaged. That said, it’s important to consider if tutoring with friends will be distracting more than engaging.
- Small group tutoring offers a cost-effective option for students. Students who pair up with one or more students have a lower hourly cost. Click here to view small group tutoring packages.
A good option is to start off tutoring in a small group to learn the fundamentals of the exam and then transition to 1-on-1 tutoring to fine tune areas that need individual attention.